Dental implants are becoming the standard of care of replacing missing teeth. Implants can replace a single missing tooth, several teeth or an entire arch. Implants can also be used to stabilise specially designed dentures. They are often more comfortable than traditional dentures.
Dental implants have many advantages such as:
- Improved appearance: they look and feel similar to your own teeth. The fact that they are fused to your bone means they will be more comfortable than removable dentures.
- Improved speech and eating: implants do not move around or slip in your mouth like dentures may, this means that your speech and eating will be unaffected by having implants.
- Improved comfort: as they are not removable and don’t move around, they will feel like your natural teeth and should not cause you any discomfort.
- Improved oral health: as implants do not require any of your other teeth to be modified or reduced, implants result in a healthier oral cavity in general with less complications and less work required on adjacent teeth. For the same reason, it is easier to clean around implants and so oral hygiene is also improved.
- Durability: dental implants are very durable and if successful they may last a lifetime.
- Improved self esteem and confidence: without the inconvenience of having to remove and clean implants as you would for dentures, and without the embarrassment of having your teeth sliding around in your mouth, dental implants ensure that you can be confident with your smile.
The procedure is usually undertaken in two stages. After the initial imaging and treatment planning sessions, the gum tissue is opened up and a drill is used to place the implant into bone. The gum tissue is then closed up so healing can occur. After 3-6 months, an abutment is placed on top of the implant screw and a crown is placed on to the abutment.
If you have some missing teeth and feel that implants maybe a good solution for you, please discuss this with our dentists and they will provide you with more information and discuss the feasibility of implant placement in your specific case.
For more information or to schedule a consultation, call us today on 02 8084 7242.